Re: XDM, GDM, KDM, WDM shootout :-)

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:11:32AM +0200, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> * General
>   It looks like auto listing of available WM are tricky.  Despite some
>   glitches I saw, it was usable.  I think if there is a standard way to
>   list available session manager / display manager, it can be better, I
>   think.

I'm the wdm maintainer.  I use the alternatives system to figure out
what window managers and session managers are available.  IMO, if a
window manager is useless on its own, then it should not provide an
option for the x-window-manager alternative.

This same basic issue came up in bug 194195, which is filed against wdm
but I claim is a problem with xfce4.  xfce4 provides an x-window-manger
alternative, but doesn't actually work if you start it on its own; it
needs some kind of session manager to work.

noah