Re: Do we need better documentation about our subsections?

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:23:15 -0300, Gustavo Franco
<gustavorfranco@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was reading the debian-policy searching for detailed instructions on
> how to choose the best subsection to put a package, is it documented
> anywhere ? The "Subsections"[0] contains:
>
> [...]
>
> "The Debian archive maintainers provide the authoritative list of
> subsections. At present, they are: admin, base, comm, contrib, devel,
> doc, editors, electronics, embedded, games, gnome, graphics, hamradio,
> interpreters, kde, libs, libdevel, mail, math, misc, net, news,
> non-US, non-free, oldlibs, otherosfs, perl, python, science, shells,
> sound, tex, text, utils, web, x11."
>
> [...]
>
> If i want to package 'foobar', a math program, written in python that
> uses gtk+ bindings.What's the right subsection? math, python, gnome or
> x11 ? I guess that the usual way is search for a similar package and
> use the same subsection.Is it really right?

Does user that need the functionality of foobar will searchfor a x11,
a python, a gnome or a math program ? Probably a math one, so I will
put it there. I would use the python section for program that are used
for developpement of python program, gnome for program that are realy
gnome specific (like applet for example) and x11 for program I have no
other section to put them in. Of course this only my guideline.