Do we need better documentation about our subsections?

I was reading the debian-policy searching for detailed instructions on
how to choose the best subsection to put a package, is it documented
anywhere ? The "Subsections"[0] contains:

[...]

"The Debian archive maintainers provide the authoritative list of
subsections. At present, they are: admin, base, comm, contrib, devel,
doc, editors, electronics, embedded, games, gnome, graphics, hamradio,
interpreters, kde, libs, libdevel, mail, math, misc, net, news,
non-US, non-free, oldlibs, otherosfs, perl, python, science, shells,
sound, tex, text, utils, web, x11."

[...]

If i want to package 'foobar', a math program, written in python that
uses gtk+ bindings.What's the right subsection? math, python, gnome or
x11 ? I guess that the usual way is search for a similar package and
use the same subsection.Is it really right?

FYI, the maintainers guide[1] contains this information about subsections:

"As you may have noticed, Debian is divided in sections: main (the
free software), non-free (the not really free software) and contrib
(free software that depends on non-free software). Under those, there
are logical subsections that describe in short what packages are in.
So we have `admin' for administrator-only programs, `base' for the
basic tools, `devel' for programmer tools, `doc' for documentation,
`libs' for libraries, `mail' for e-mail readers and daemons, `net' for
network apps and daemons, `x11' for X11 programs that don't fit
anywhere else, and many more."

I know that ftpmasters can change a package with a wrong subsection,
what are their guidelines to do it?

[0] = http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-subsections
[1] = http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html#s-control

Thanks,