Re: PHP5?

sean finney dijo [Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:03:16PM -0400]:
> > BTW, I would be glad to see this proposal seconded, if anyone shares the
> > point of view:
>
> fwiw, i think it'd be an even greater service if this weren't
> specific to php, as php is often one of a number of ingredients
> in the web applications in question.  better yet would be to
> create a debian-webapp mailing list (which i'm sure would be
> in a very large part LAMP-centric), covering not only php, but
> covering perl/cgi, apache, mysql/pgsql, and how they all fit
> together.

I agree with Sean, PHP is just a part of a whole suite of tools used
for the same goals. If anything, I would agree with David's proposal
transformed into a generic debian-webapp thing.

Now, on the other hand: Debian is about providing a complete framework
on which anybody can do his work. If we were to provide a
debian-webapp list, would it be about the Web applications that exist
in Debian? Or would it rather be about general webapp development? If
it is the first case, I think they can be dealt with here in
debian-devel, in debian-user* or other lists. In the second case, I
don't think it really is Debian's business to provide mailing lists
for it unless there is real interest from a mass of users. Debian
mailing lists are Debian-related, not just development related.

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)1451-2244 / 5554-9450
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23