Re: Incorrect use of "it's" in package control files -- file mass bug?

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:

> > "Ad hoc" means something totally different.
>
> That, i know. But anyway, "Hoc est" and "Id est" maybe translate into
> the same "that is" english phrase, but there is a nuance between these
> two, that makes "id est" and "hoc est" different.

Literally, "hoc est" means "this is", and "id est" means something
like "that is"--except that is/ea/id is really a Latin pronoun that
just has no English equivalent.  "ille est" is very rare.  There is
also "quod est".

> So, what is the problem with "i.e." and "e.g." ?

Better to just spell them closer to the way they are pronounced.  They
are inappropriate for formal writing (according to any style guide
I've read).  But I'm not proposing any Debian rule.