Re: New package with old name

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 02:58:38AM +0200, "Jesus M. Gonzalez-Barahona" <jgb@gsyc.escet.urjc.es> was heard to say:
> I'm considering packaging CIL (C Intermediate Language),
> http://manju.cs.berkeley.edu/cil/
>
> But when checking the obvious name for it (cil) it seems that is is
> already present in Debian, for "Chess In Lisp",
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/doc/cil
>
> However, this package seems not to be available neither in testing nor
> in unstable, which maybe means it is deprecated?
>
> So, my questions:
>
> - Can I use the name "cil"? (I bet the answer is "no" ;-) )

  Probably a bad idea -- stable cil users will wonder why their chess
program has been replaced with a program analysis tool :).

> - Which name should I use for a package that is expected to be named
> "cil" but cannot be named like that?

  What about c-intermediate-language?

  Daniel

|                   DROP THE SCYTHE AND TURN AROUND SLOWLY.                   |
|                     -- Terry Pratchett, "Reaper Man"                        |
\---- Be like the kid in the movie!  Play chess! -- http://www.uschess.org ---/