Re: Release update: base and standard frozen

On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 04:34:23AM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:
> Any idea about what is going to be done about the _huge_ backlogs on the
> various buildds?

How about 'less uploads'? ;-)

Really, this is typical behaviour right before a freeze: everyone making
last-minute uploads to fix bugs that they want to have fixed in stable,
but that aren't RC. Apart from a planning, the release plan happens to
be a wake-up call in many cases, too. We can have overcapacity for
buildds, but you can't expect us to deal with every possible upload
spike...

The fact that there have been a _lot_ of other uploads related to the
libtiff stuff doesn't really help either.

> I uploaded some packages on Aug 2 and they still haven't been built on
> various buildds. Some of the buildds have had queues as large as 600
> packages. The graph doesn't look very encouraging either...

True. However, apart from adding an insane amount of new buildd machines
(which will no longer be useful after the release), there's not much we
can do. Rest assured, this upload spike is temporarily. When the freeze
is final, it'll be finished.

Yes, I realize that isn't really good enough; but this can really only
be handled as it should by the release managers, not by the buildd
admins -- although we (the m68k team, at least) are trying to do what we
can at our side (that is, more buildd machines are in the makes, but
we're 'not quite there yet'). I expect the same is happening for other
architectures, but I'm as knowledgeable there as any of you.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks