Re: [PMBF] menu icons _must_ be in xpm.

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 12:18:01PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le samedi 31 juillet 2004 à 12:06 +0200, Bill Allombert a écrit :
>
> > There are around 50 window managers in Debian today,
> > but most of them do not display menu icons.
>
> Yes, that's why I ask. I've made some tests and I've not found a window
> manager supporting menu icons and not the PNG entries (apparently fvwm
> does but fvwm95 not, I've not checked)... most of the packages provide a
> PNG pixmap and I don't really get the point the convert them to a XPM if

Usually you need to rescale them to match the 32x32 limit for menu
icons, and you can put the XPM in the diff without uuencoding it.

> there is no real problem with the PNG. Perhaps the policy should be
> adapted here ?

The way icons are handled could be improved, several proposals have been
made, see debian-policy mailing list archive. The fact that current fvwm
handle PNG should be taken into account. However that will not be done
until sarge release, if for no better reason that it breaks partial
upgrade. For example you want to stick with woody fvwm because fvwm
configuration has changed and breaks your own made .fvwm dir.

More generally, care has to be excerced before restricting the set of
window-managers handled by menu.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>