On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 04:19:26PM +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 04:04:02PM +0200, David Weinehall wrote:
>
> > > Am I the only one who find that strange?
> > Yes, because you are reading stuff into what others write, stuff that
> > simply isn't there.  So far, I haven't seen anyone _demand_ that you
> > release the scripts.  I've seen people asking you to do so, because
> > that's what free software is about.
>
> And yet there is still the question open, what it is that make you
> believe that my scripts are free software?

I don't believe that.  I've never said I do.  What I, and others, do is
to urge you to release them as free software.

> Unless I do license and release them, those are my very own and
> private copyrighted properties. You're still free to view the result
> of them at www.buildd.net at everytime you want to.

Yes.  Just like Flash Movies, WMA-files, etc...

> When you don't respect that and keep trying to get the source,
> I consider that as demanding something from me.

Well, considering that the goal of your project *seems* (feel free to
correct me if I'm wrong) to be intended to replace the current
buildd-software, I think it's natural to *ask* you to make the sources
available to everyone.  Of course you're free to say no, as you have,
but you have to accept that people will question your motives,
especially since you've been pretty good at complaining when others
keep information to themselves (yes, I consider source code
information).

If your project is as good as you say (and I don't really doubt that),
giving people a preview will help increase the interest, and early
releases also helps catching those minor annoying things that usually
creep into the first release of every project...

> Like it or not. Life is not a wishful thing. You don't get always what
> you want or wish.

True.  If I did, this thread would never have happened...

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //