add amd64 to sid [Was: Re: -= PROPOSAL =- Release sarge with amd64]

David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> writes:

>> > Now, see, that's where you're wrong. We need volunteers. Volunteers
>> > that decide for themselves what they do, that don't need to be told.
>> > That find out where the problems lie, and go chase them. Fix them. That
>> > believe in the idea we're all chasing. They don't need to be told those
>> > things -- not by other volunteers, not by bosses, and certainly not by
>> > job descriptions.
>>
>> Read the mail from Oliver Elphick.
>>
>> > Yeah, we have a project leader, but he doesn't actually have to lead; if
>> > he had, we wouldn't be as good as we are.
>>
>> Really, are we "good"? Do we get things done? Did we release on time?
>
> Yes (if we weren't, why would you want to use our distribution?),
> yes (look at the amount of work going into packaging, work on
> debian-installer, bug fixing, bug reporting, every day, then try to say
> that we don't get things done.  We might not get your particular pet
> things done as fast as you demand, but we do get things done), no, we're
> definitely late with Sarge.
>
> Now, the question we need to ask here is: will adding another
> architecture when we're close to a freeze really help getting Sarge out
> as soon as possible?  I doubt that.  Will this discussion help bring
> Sarge out as soon as possible?  Very unlikely.  It's more likely to make
> people think "Gah, I'm tired of Debian right now, I'll do the needed
> fixes tomorrow", only to find that tomorrow brings more of this totally
> untimely rubbish.
>
> it's not the FTP-team, the release master, or the debian-installer team
> that holds up the release of Sarge.  It's the "Oh, there's a new version
> of package x out, I better upload it to the archives now with a high
> priority so that it gets into Sarge"-mentality, and the fact that more
> effort is spent on flaming here than on fixing bugs and documenting
> already existing features.

With the issue of adding amd64 to sid in mind (yes, the GR initially
said sarge but it should have been sid): Who cares?

Ignore anything else from the GR and just think about amd64 in sid for
a moment. Now: The sarge issue has not much relevants for sid
inclusion and that is what the ftp-master team is holding up. If amd64
is not an release architecture bugs for it are not RC bugs.

MfG
        Goswin