Re: Stop the madness (Re: -= PROPOSAL =- Release sarge with amd64)

Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:49:31AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> Only after yelling around the buildd situation for mips, mipsel and arm
>> where clarified.
>>
>> On several occasions after yelling our DPL said he would look into the
>> problem and resolved some of them.
>
> So basically:
>
> 1. There was a lot of obnoxious complaining
>
> 2. The DPL decided to look into the problem
>
> 3. The DPL investigated and reported on the situation
>
> And you are justifying #1 as a valid way to achieve #2?  Do you think that
> Martin would not have investigated if someone had simply asked him,
> politely?  Or perhaps someone _did_ ask him politely, and his action was not
> provoked by #1 at all?

Both happened and the later is of course preferable but also invisible to
the uninvolved. People only see the public rants.

But realy preferable would be not needing either.

>> There certainly is a history of cases where only through a tantrum a
>> reaction was reached.
>
> There is a history of tantrums, certainly, but I think that the causality
> relationship with any positive outcome is weak.

I see a strong relationship between asking for outside help to talk to
the problem group and getting a reply. Given the number of ftp-masters
thats bad already.

The method of attracting the outside help is what most screaming is
about but the real problem is needing outside help.

> --
>  - mdz

MfG
        Goswin