On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:05:34PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Steve McIntyre (steve@einval.com) wrote:
> > Chris Cheney writes:
> > >I'm glad you have made it abundantly clear that ftpmaster had no
> > >intention to communicate about the amd64 issue at all. Some people had
> > >been using our conversation that I mentioned as proof that ftpmaster can
> > >sometimes be reasonable.
> >
> > <sigh> Chris, you had some support for your point of view. But by
> > acting like an prick in public this way you're rapidly losing it.
> > Picking on Daniel, the ftpmaster who has actually been devoting his
> > time to making the changes needed for amd64, is not an intelligent
> > thing to do.
>
> This is another bit of very interesting information that I don't believe
> was available before- Daniel is devoting time to making changes needed
> for amd64?  Such an acknowledgment of active work in this area and
> perhaps a one-liner of what he's doing from the ftpmasters would have
> been something that people could point to when others asked what was
> going on with getting amd64 into the archive.

What some people don't seem to realize is something as simple as stating
Daniel is working on the issue and possibly a status update every once
in a while would be more than enough to keep people like me from going
ballistic. From a regular DD perspective (outside of ftpmaster) it
appears that they are doing nothing and that they are ignoring all
emails asking what the status is. This has been a problem for years.
A recent example of this was when several of the buildds were broken
for months earlier this year.

Chris