gcc-3.4 for amd64 (was: -= PROPOSAL =- Release sarge with amd64)

On 2004-07-13 Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 02:43:59PM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Furthermore, the AMD64 architecture is mostly ready. It now builds just
> > as many packages as our other release architectures, and it has a
> > working installer.

> Judging from conversation on debian-glibc, it sounds like AMD64 really
> wants to use gcc 3.4, which is not tenable for sarge because it involves
> an API change (see Matthias Klose's recent mail to debian-release and
> debian-glibc). Can you explain how critical this is to the port?
[...]

I think I am missing something important. The main[2] issue against
gcc-3.4 is that it breaks ABIs. However this does not count against
amd64 in sid using gcc-3.4. - It is a new port and does not need to
care that much[1] about backwards compatibility and can ignore the ABI
breakage by /starting/ with gcc-3.4.
                cu andreas

[1] There are other minor ones like the breakage in compiling glibc on
amd64.
[2] There would possibly be breakage for people mixing the packages
now on alioth with the official gcc-3.4 ones.
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"