Re: Impossible dependency: slang1-dev vs. slang1-utf8-dev

Hi,

Alastair McKinstry:
> I am testing a  solution that adds ELF dependencies to the
> slang libraries [...]
> basically, version the symbols differently, with

Good idea. (smacks head) I should have remembered about symbol versioning.

> However, I believe packages should just be rebuilt against
> the slang1a-utf8 and slang1-utf8-dev and slang1-dev dropped:

If that's possible without affecting *their* ABI, that'd make sense.
To do this safely, versionizing slang and recompiling everything which
depends on slang1-utf8 needs to be done first. Correct?

> the only reason slang1 should remain is for support for
> non-Debian binaries. I was intending to propose this when
> sarge ships, but now appears to be a good time.

Thanks for doing the work. I agree that this should be done now.

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de