Re: localepurge (was: How to handle translations within debian (was: a rant))

> Marc, who would also want to skip docs and manpages from being
> unpacked
I don't see how to do this without shipping them apart ...
And shipping them apart seems to me a bad idea, since it will be then a
lot of things the packager will have to look after ... to check, etc ...

I really don't see how to achieve such a thing without rewriting a big
part of apt, which I assume, is not a that great idea.

Moreover, templates for debconf and such softs are not _that_ big. and
big l10n package are shiped in separate packages (manpage-*, kde-i18n-*,
mozilla-*-*, etc ...)

Moreover, I run localpurge not from the beginning, and the first time i
ran it, it purged less than 50Mo files on a system that took about 4Go
(without logs and confs) wich make a ration of less than 2 or 3%. And
on my router, that has about 500Mo of datas from debs, there was less
than 25Mo purged... wich is less than 5% ...

moreover, in the deb package, files are compressed, and text files have
often a _very_ good ratio, so I don't think they will weight so much in
BW/space/time.

The only real question about l10n (at every level : debconf, manpages,
whatever) is a synchronization problem, since I assume we don't want a
package upload to be delayed until every l10n team has ended his work.
So maybe here there is some things to think at. But the space problem is
(IMHO) irrelevant.
--
Pierre Habouzit

http://www.madism.org/