Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Sat, Jun 19, 2004 at 04:16:54PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> So far their license change seems to have caused several (most?)
> distributions to switch to other sources, as you (Fabio) suggested
> for Debian. The end result is far fewer (if not zero) users for XFree86.
> If that was their intention then good on them, but if not perhaps
> they'll reconsider now that they've seen the community's reaction.

There was a comment made by one of the XFree86 CVS committers -- I can't
remember whom, and I can't locate it at the moment -- that expressed a
sentiment along the lines of "with all those pesky distributors going
away we can go back to serving our real, original userbase."

It does appear to be the case that XFree86 was founded as a by-hackers,
for-hackers project.

Is Gentoo sticking with XFree86's SI?  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |        Beware of and eschew pompous
Debian GNU/Linux                   |        prolixity.