Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:31:50AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:30:53PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > This has been a long-standing wishlist request, which was languished
> > because (as I understand it), nobody wanted to futz with the imake
> > build system enough to make it possible, and I can't blame anyone for
> > that.  If the X.Org build system makes this possible, then that's
> > great.
>
> Right diagnosis for the wrong problem.  The problem nobody wanted to
> futz with was hacking up the nexus of Imake and debian/rules to only
> build the fonts and specs docs if architecture-independent packages are
> being built.  I still have some philosophical qualms about splitting the
> build rule like this, but I will probably yield if we add some loud
> clues and documentation.

Um, why not just have something like this:
build-fonts: configure
	cd build-tree/xc/fonts && $(MAKE)
install-fonts: build-fonts
	cd build-tree/xc/fonts && $(MAKE) install
(specs as above)

binary-all:
	[...]
	build-fonts
	[...]
	install-fonts

If you still wanted to retain the MANIFEST stuff, you could have
debian/tmp.arch, and debian/tmp.indep, and a MANIFEST.indep.

Am I missing something?

:) d

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>