Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 03:09:51PM +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> #include <ianadd.h>
>
> On Friday 18 June 2004 09.02, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
>
> > * Should we ensure that multiple implementations of the X Window
> > System are packaged, or standardize on just one?
>
> from a user perspective, multiple X servers to chose from which are
> almost but not exaclty the same is most confusing. AFAICT this is not
> like having KDE and GNOME and .. in the archive because they are really
> different, but this is more like the kernel having 3 different drivers
> for NCR53c8xx SCSI chips, and how should the user know which to use and
> why (difference in the scale, obviously)...

Users already don't know -- in many cases -- which XFree86 X server
driver to use for their hardware.

Hardware-identification tools like Discover are designed to help solve
this particular problem.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    For every credibility gap, there is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    a gullibility fill.