Re: mass bug gnustep programs: policy violation

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 02:03:42PM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
>
> > AFAIK the use of /opt, /etc/opt and /var/opt is reserved to
> > application software packages.
> > That was typically (but not exclusively), commercial or
> > proprietary one in the old good (?) days, installed by the
> > administrator and produced by third parties (i.e. not
> > the OS vendor).
> > Unfortunately today we cannot define easily
> > the difference among an application software and all the
> > rest. My own interpretation is that all (and only) software
> > packaged out of the distribution is ideed application software.
> > So, no parts of Debian should stay there.
> >

> FWIW, this is my policy:
>
> 1.  Anything packaged in .deb format -> standard FHS directories

It's a very dangerous policy. Files under system tree out of
/opt and /usr/local could potentially compromise system integrity.
And none can ensure that future debian packages won't overwrite your
local stuff. IMHO also packaging backports out of /opt is a very
bad practice and could create problems in dist-upgrades.

> 2.  Anything packaged in any other format (i.e. vmware which has its own
>     installer and upgrade method -> /opt
>
> 3.  Everything else -> /usr/local

That's right.

--