Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:37:33PM +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> Keith Packard <keithp@keithp.com> writes:
> > So, the big question is how to get everyone back into a single tree.
> > Ideally, Egbert would let us just ditch the imake build system and move
> > X.Org to autotools in one big jump; we have almost all of the build
> > infrastructure ready and waiting in my 'research' trees.
>
> In case of a "big jump", is autotools the only alternative to imake ?
>
> There are other build system like scons or cons that could be used to
> build X.
>
> At one point you mentionned the shortcomings of autotools, it might be
> worth to check if cons or scons are more apt to build X than autotools.

Sure, every build system sucks. It just so happens that autoconf sucks
less than imake, and most everything else.

One of the reasons we're moving, however (and this is a major reason),
is that everyone knows autotools. People are comfortable with using it,
and hacking it to some degree. Most people have autotools installed.

Right now, we've already migrated xlibs, xapps (someone has autotooled a
great deal of the missing xapps, which I discovered last night - word),
and xserver and some of the drivers to autotools. We've already
committed, and it's way too late to go back and work with a build system
we're all unfamiliar with.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org