Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:02:50AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > We all know by now that due to several licensing-related issues we cannot
> > keep using XFree86 as our primary upstream source for an X Window System
> > distribution [3]. But we need a clear plan before we can add a FAQ entry
> > describing our plans. Some XSF memebers have already expressed their
> > opinion on what the future of X in Debian should be.
> >
> > Our questions to the community are:
> >
> > * What kinds of X packages would you like to see in the future?
> [...]
>
> Is there any scope for reasoning with the XFree86 folks about their
> license change?

Unfortunatly no. This attempt has been done in several ways by different
entities with negative result.

> So far their license change seems to have caused several (most?)
> distributions to switch to other sources, as you (Fabio) suggested
> for Debian. The end result is far fewer (if not zero) users for XFree86.
> If that was their intention then good on them, but if not perhaps
> they'll reconsider now that they've seen the community's reaction.

Well i can't really comment on this. In my country they would say
something: "You wanted the bike? now ride!"

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.