Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:55:34PM -0400, Michael Poole wrote:
> For Debian's purposes, I believe that Joe's summary is correct: DFSG
> requires that anything without source be removed.  As far as I know,
> that covers all the firmware under discussion.  I don't have a list of
> affected files/drivers.
> I believe that chunks with licenses that appear GPL-incompatible are
> being worked on upstream (Greg K-H made a posting to linux-kernel
> earlier this week mentioning the particular case that spawned this
> thread), so I hope his first set becomes empty.
> The broader discussion is not whether Debian should remove binary
> firmware, but whether the upstream kernel has to remove it too.

Now can I get more than 1 person to agree on this? The trouble is not
what the conclusion is, but rather, that everyone has their own personal
conclusion they communicate to me, and none of them resemble each other.

-- wli