Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> The correct thing to do was what I did -- contact the USB maintainer, who
> was previously unaware of this problem:
>
> <gregkh> willy: cool, I got back a response with an email from emagic giving the blessing to include the drivers in linux.
> <gregkh> willy: just looks like I need to add the following:
> <gregkh> Permission is hereby granted for the distribution of this firmware
> <gregkh>         image as part of a Linux or other Open Source operating system kernel
> <gregkh>         in text or binary form as required.
> <gregkh> as the keyspan drivers have.
>
> So, problem resolved.  No need to remove anything.

This appears to solve the immediate legality issue, but it still
doesn't resolve the DFSG issue.[1]

I assume that the text of the email will be included in
debian/copyright of the relevant package. Might be nice to respond to
one of these messages with it also.

Thanks again to whoever went and talked to emagic about this issue. If
possible, please consider asking them to specifically release the
source to this firmware under a license that is free according to the
DFSG as well.

Don Armstrong

1: Specifically, this grant of permision doesn't allow modification
(DFSG §3) and dissallows specific classes of derived works (eg, those
that aren't a Linux or Open Source OS kernel.)
--
Our days are precious, but we gladly see them going
If in their place we find a thing more precious growing

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu