Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

Nathanael Nerode quotes:

> * The firmware contained herein is Copyright (c) 1999-2002 Emagic
> * as an unpublished work.

It's published now.

> * This notice does not imply unrestricted or public access to this
> * firmware which is a trade secret of Emagic...

Not any more it isn't.

And writes:
> This is the most extreme case because it explicitly states that there is
> no permission to distribute.

You left out this part:

 * This firmware may not be modified and may only be used with the
 * Emagic EMI 2|6 Audio Interface. Distribution and/or Modification of
 * any driver which includes this firmware, in whole or in part,
 * requires the inclusion of this statement.

I agree that Debian should not be distributing this, though.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org