Re: dpkg postinst.d patch: progress ping

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 09:40 +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> i was wondering what the present status is, so that i can add it
> to my progress report.

The status is unchanged from when you last asked.

> mr russell coker's postinst.d patch is apparently well-known
> and the bugreport has been merged with other bugs, one of which
> (#17243) dates back to 1998! kuudosss.  however, the maintainer
> says that those bugs are part of a larger picture of required
> / requested functionality and they don't want to proceed with
> what would turn out to be a temporary measure.

Correct.

> 30may2004: after evaluating options (see links above) initiated
> thread to convince dpkg developers to incorporate postinst.d
> patch.

Not Going To Happen.

As I've already said, and has been outlined in countless threads about
this in the past, "/etc/dpkg/postinst.d" is not a complete solution to
the whole triggers problem and on that basis has been rejected.

There's been some useful discussion in the past about good ways to
schedule commands to be run after dpkg has completed its run, but it's
way off the radar at the moment.  Feature requests like this are post-
sarge at least!

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?