dpkg postinst.d patch: progress ping

hi there,

i've taken on responsibility for checking the progress of various
issues related to Debian / SE / Linux.  one of the things needed
for SE/Linux is, as you are no doubt aware, a requirement for a
means to set file security contexts when a new package is installed.

i was wondering what the present status is, so that i can add it
to my progress report.

here is what i have so far for dpkg:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2002/03/msg00154.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-dpkg/2004/05/msg00255.html

status:

mr russell coker's postinst.d patch is apparently well-known
and the bugreport has been merged with other bugs, one of which
(#17243) dates back to 1998! kuudosss.  however, the maintainer
says that those bugs are part of a larger picture of required
/ requested functionality and they don't want to proceed with
what would turn out to be a temporary measure.

30may2004: after evaluating options (see links above) initiated
thread to convince dpkg developers to incorporate postinst.d
patch.

13jun2004: no response yet received, another ping initiated.

Information I post is with honesty, integrity, and the expectation that
you will take full responsibility if acting on the information contained,
and that, should you find it to be flawed or even mildly useful, you
will act with both honesty and integrity in return - and tell me.