Re: Firefox, the Release and what should a debian developer do?

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:41:33AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 02:33:55PM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 10:45:01PM -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> > > So I suppose I'm asking if any progress has been made toward the next
> > > release? A lot of lucky developers have been sunning themselves at
> > > DebConf, was there any progress there? I certainly don't want to start
> > > up old flame wars on GR or anything, but besides that since DI is
> > > really shaping up, are we missing anything else? Or do we think
> > > there's still a few months before any sort of general freeze?
> >
> > Firefox is prerelease anyway isn't it? If we release sarge with a flakey
> > firefox, I'd be inclined to say it's prerelease, deal with it or use
> > mozilla.
>
> That would be silly, no?
>
> > That's my humble opinion anyway...
> >
> > So go forth and package it, throw it in unstable,
>
> s/unstable/experimental
>
> That's what it's for; and that's how the GNOME team recently tested
> GNOME 2.6 before they uploaded it to unstable.
>
> If you want to try this, coordinate with the release team (at
> -release@l.d.o), and only upload to unstable when you think it's ready.
>
> > so long as it doesn't
> > break other stuff, which I can't see it doing.
>
> How about it breaking itself?

I think it's perfectly reasonable for sarge to release with a prerelease
"demo" (for want of a better word) version of Firefox. This will never
happen if it's uploaded to experimental.

If it breaks itself, it should get picked up in the 10 day period before it
enters testing.

regards

Andrew