Re: /etc/hosts: Two lines with the same IP address?

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:48:22PM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
> > It is not enough  to entr this to the hosts file, the ip should  also be
> > pingable, IMHO. Perhaps by adding an alias to lo.
> Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.  Can you rephrase?

I was under the wrong impression  that  on kernels, I cant ping 127.0.1.1,
but at least on 2.6 with no loopback route I am wrong, and it works fine. I
think that has changed, but I am not sure if it is something to care about.

Currently lo configures itself to 127/8 network and accept all of those
addresses, too. So it is fine with me.

However, I think about realy emoving localhost from the list of  possible
answers of hostname.

Greetings
Bernd