Re: libpkg-guide updated (versioned symbols), please proofread

* Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org) wrote:
> The .la files exist to remove the burden from application maintainers to
> manually track the dependencies of the static libs they need.  This is a
> worthwhile goal, and it makes sense for users to want this to be
> reflected at the Debian package level as well; it just doesn't make
> sense to make things more convenient for users of static libs at the
> expense of much more common use cases.  Perhaps a Suggests: would be
> appropriate here.

A Suggests: would be acceptable to me.  I have to say that the Debian
packaging system already provides the dependencies that application
maintainers will need, they're just not automatically installed for you
when you install the -dev.  Just look at the Depends for the actual
library instead, which you'll have installed since the -dev depends on
it anyway.

	Stephen