Re: Lost Trust

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 02:18:16PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> On Jun 02, David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > No, but the firmware is only needed for one model of the TG3, and that
> > model _is_ rare.  The rest of them works just fine without the firmware.
> No, they don't: important features are not available.

They work well enough to allow you to use the card to download whatever
firmware you want form the Internet and install it...  A much nicer
situation than for wireless cards where you need the firmware to be
able to use the card at all.

Yes, the firmware will bring extra features to the TG3.  The non-free
driver for the NVidia piece of crap hardware brings a lot of extra
"value" as well (and quite a lot of problems as well, but that's another
matter), but we don't distribute the NVidia-driver in main, and we
wouldn't even if NVidia took the binary and slapped the GPL on it
without actually giving out the source-code...

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //