Re: Debian From Scratch

Stephen Birch <sgbirch@imsmail.org> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow(brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de)@2004.05.25 23:54:39 +0000:
>>
>> Its a redesign in C. It shares code with debian-installer. They could
>> have used a shell parser for the packages files to do the same but the
>> author had the C parser from udpkg a hand and used that.
>>
>> Its a lot quicker in C than in shell.
>>

> Was it [cdebootstrap] done by, or in collaboration with, the
> debootstrap folks or do we now have two independent tools to achieve
> the same goal?

Afaik they are completly independent.

> Is debootstrap slated to die, being replaced by cdebootstrap?

The author planed to replace debootstrap in D-I but he hasn't done so
yet. Not sure what is holding it back there.

Debootstrap has the advantage of just needing a shell, wget and some
basic tools. cdebootstrap (not yet having a static version) needs a
matching glibc and libdebian-installer. So debootstrap is still easier
to run on a non debian system. But it fails if the list of packages
changes, as it has repeadetly in the past.

I think we will have both tools for some time to come.

> Sorry for all the questions, I'm trying to get the "big picture" here!
> If this has all been hashed out already, on which list should I look
> for archives, I certainly want to waste bandwidth by revisiting old
> issues :-)
>
> Steve

MfG
        Goswin