Re: drivers DB and id/ info registration

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 01:38:26PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> My biggest itch in our free software world is drivers.
>
> I guess that Microsoft has a standard submission process whereby third
> party hardware manufacturers submit product ids, name strings, and
> possibly drivers, for default inclusion in eg. WindowsXP.
>
> I read somewhere recently that Knoppix has a "hardware information
> submission page" or something, and I know there is linux-printing.org.

Have you seen "Mandrakelinux hardware support" ?
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3

> My question:
>
> Does it make sense to set up a centralized website/ DB where hardware
> manufacturers and individuals can submid hardware info, and that is
> widely advertised to hardware companies around the globe?

Yes, it does. I'm not sure if it makes sense to have it
distribution-independent. End-users want to see which hardware is supported
by their operating system (the current release, not the development
release)

My 2c.

Javier