Re: Spam in the lists out of control

El mar, 11-05-2004 a las 22:43, +0200, Florian Weimer escribió:
> * Carlos Perelló Marín:
>
> > The problem is that we don't have a "decent ISP" in Spain.
>
> You haven't got any local, small ISPs with responsible admins?  That's
> tough.  It's hard to believe, too.

You have any ISP you want if you go with a 56Kbps modem, or even you
could get LMDTS link (too expensive) but if you want ADSL, you only have
a company. Some companies start now offering its own network but I don't
think they are available in more of a 5% of the Spanish homes. The other
95% of the ADSL connections are from several companies but the one who
gives you the physical link is the same. It's called "monopoly".

Of course, you have alternatives like Cable modem companies but that's
another history with its own problems.

The fact is that because we don't have choices in Spain I don't think we
should be banned. They just don't care about the spammers, ok block the
IPs where the spam comes from but please, leave the other IPs frees.

BTW, this thread is going offtopic, I'm just against black lists and I
think that closed lists like Santiago suggest is a good solution, the
GNOME lists are configured that way and we don't have any problem with
SPAM (only the list admins, but that's easily avoidable with a good team
of listmasters).

> >> There is no reason to accept mail from mass-market ADSL subscribers.
> >
> > Why? because you say that?
>
> Mass-market ADSL means lots of home users, which means unprotected
> Windows machines, which means compromised machines, which means email
> worms and spam, which means tons of useless email messages.

It's easy, block the mails with those problems.

> As soon as you pay by the volume, you really want to avoid all that
> stuff.
>
> > I understand the spammers IPs could be blocked, but why should be
> > blocked all network range with IPs that does not sent SPAM?
>
> If the ISP does not force customers to clean up their Windows
> machines, a large fraction of the dial-up/DSL/cable modem space will
> be infected.

Sure, but should that be a problem for my Linux box? and for all Linux
box available from Spain?

> --
> Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
> following domains: atlas.cz, bigpond.com, di-ve.com, hotmail.com,
> jumpy.it, libero.it, netscape.net, postino.it, simplesnet.pt,
> tiscali.co.uk, tiscali.cz, tiscali.it, voila.fr, yahoo.com.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Debian GNU/Linux Sid (PowerPC)