Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 10:01:30PM -0500, Chris Cheney wrote:
> When is amd64 going to be allowed to go into sid? It has been more or
> less ready to go into sid since mid Feb and seems to be primarily
> blocked on the fact that it is not an official Debian port yet. If it is
> simply an issue of mirror space then why isn't one of the many unused
> archs dropped, or preferrably the rsync script modified? As can be seen
> by popcon almost all users use i386 currently. By the end of 2005 nearly
> all new desktops will be based on amd64.[1] Which very likely will be
> before sarge+1 is released... Also, debian-installer already works on
> amd64 as I understand it. If amd64 was allowed into sid it would
> probably not take too terribly long before it would be ready for release
> with sarge.

<humor mode="weird">

But.. amd64-pure are my best alpha testers for debpool! Just look at how
many bugs they've filed on it that ended up exposing subtle (and not
so subtle) problems, or the wishlist items that tell me what's really
needed...

</humor>

(In all seriousness, I do appreciate having alpha testers who are both
willing to put up with the fact that it is, in fact, alpha, and who are
doing a rapidly-growing port that excercises many of the less-tested code
paths simply due to what they need... keep those bugs coming.)
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/kNetBSD(i386) porter                                      : :' :