Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

Hi!

On 2004-05-06 11:49 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 10:49:43AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> > Since package growth is exponential, but adding a new architecture
> > only proportional in required extra space, I don't really regard lack
> > of mirror space as a valid argument. Or am I fundamentally wrong here?
>
> Adding new architectures makes the problem worse than it already is.

Sure, but I don't see why e. g. hppa and m68k should be worth "making
the problem worse", but amd64 should not. I think all architectures
are worth the effort, but if I were to choose between old
architectures and new ones which have a much bigger market share
potential, I'd certainly would favor the latter. Such a decision
would surely not be easy, but just ignoring it is even worse than a
clear commitment.

> Mirror space isn't just Debian's problem. We could buy some more hard
> disks; but that won't solve the problem, unless you suggest buying extra
> hard disks for all Debian mirrors worldwide.

They have to do anyway if they want to keep up with sid's exponential
growth. And I think not every mirror is required to mirror _all_
architectures. IMHO providing i386 and maybe powerpc is completely
sufficient for most mirrors since all other architectures don't have a
very big user base (compared to i386), so there is much less bandwith
burden to share by mirrors. But this decision should be made by the
respective mirror admins.

Have a nice day,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                 Debian GNU/Linux Developer
martin@piware.de                      mpitt@debian.org