On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 07:21:55AM -0400, Dale E Martin wrote:

> BTW, I think it would be very very cool to have a completely free hardware
> platform.  I work on free EDA/CAD tools, so hopefully in some small way I
> am contributing to this goal.  But to argue that software cannot be truly
> free without a free hardware platform; I'm not buying that one, despite
> fully understanding your argument.

Sorry for my bad english, but that's exactly my point of view: not all
software can be truly free without a free hardware. At kernel level if
anyone would get a working system, he has to accept some compromises.
And those compromises could be larger in a not so far future.

Someone thinks that this kind of compromises should not be accepted.
Ok, so we will have a less usable system and probably we'll lose many
users for that. Or probably some well-known Debian-based commercial
distros will get great advantages, because they'll integrate stuff
which Debian will miss.
I have the suspect that this choice will marginalize
Debian in respect to other distros. I'm not sure this will be a great
benefit for the free software community, at last.
What's next step? Remove non-free support at all with a new GR?

--
Francesco P. Lovergine