Re: more evil firmwares found

Scripsit Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi>

> I still fail to see how a device that doesn't have persistent memory to
> store it's firmware is somehow so evil that we have excorcise support
> for those devices out of Linux...

I don't ses how you can claim to have been reading the thread and
still belive that the strawman you are holding up matches ANY of its
participants.

NOBODY in the thread is claiming that hardware that needs non-free
firmware is somehow "evil".

NOBODY in the thread is objecting to Linux containing free code to
communicate wich such hardware.

NOBODY in this thread even seems to think it a good forum for
discussing whether the upstream sources for the kernel should contain
the non-free firmware or not.

What some people are saying is that kernels containing the non-free
firmware should not be in Debian's "main" archive - because that
archive is not supposed to contain non-free software. It is completely
fine to ship kernels that can load the firmware from userspace, and
it's even fine to ship kernels with built-in non-free firmware in the
appropriate section of Debian (namely non-free).

--
Henning Makholm                   "We will discuss your youth another time."