Re: more evil firmwares found

On Apr 13, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> stuff; the best example Marco could come up with was DVB boards, which is a
> fairly obscure and inessential area which until recently wasn't supported
> by Linux at all.
TV cards have been supported by linux since a very long time, and DVB
cards have been for years (with standalone drivers). I will decide for
myself what is essential for me.

>  People claimed DSL modems, but turned out to be wrong
> (there are black-box ethernet-bridge implementations).
Which are more complex, much more expensive and usually with less
features than an ATM port available to the Linux kernel.
(Oh, and they usually run something like VxWorks, so there is still
non-free software around. But you are happy, since you don't see it.)

> If they want them, they can get them by installing their own upstream
> kernel.
Yes, it means that a knoppix CD will continue to be a much more useful
install system that d-i.

--
ciao, |
Marco | [5701 rifIsY3Qxz0Vs]