Re: Packages with unusable documentation

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 10:35:32AM +0200, Otto Wyss wrote:
> IMO a must in any case is a "/usr/share/doc/<packagename>/README.debian"
> which lists all possible "man ..." of this package. Each package which
> doesn't do this should get an serious bug.

i seriously object. this was never a requirmeent, dont know any package who
does this. in fact for packages which are not debian specific at all, the
readme should not exist at all. If you want to have a quick start file, we
should define a new one. however, i normally look at the package's files,
first.

> Some packages provide useful information within the description files.
> Therefore long ago I've made a "dsc2man" which simply creates man files
> from the descriptions. It's up to any maintainer if he wants to create
> man files this way (see "http://dpartialmirror.sourceforge.net/";).

I hate it when debian descriptions are missused to give usage info. However
I like the idea of having a mandatory man page for each package, with that
introduction, description and quick start info. However this would be a new
requirement and needs month to be worth considering for RC bugs of the next
release.

Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Mörscher_Strasse_8.76185Karlsruhe.de --