Re: ITH: gdm -- GNOME Display Manager

evan@debian.org wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 06:48:24PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>
>> I intend to hijack the GDM package. It has several issues that should be
>> dealt with before sarge releases, and many long-standing open bugs.
>> This is not an ultimatum. I don't like ultimatums. I just want to take
>> care of this package's maintenance, with the GNOME team as
>> co-maintainers, unless there are serious objections.
>
> I have serious objections to this. I'm taking it that you haven't
> talked this over with Ryan yet. It's just not acceptable to adopt a
> package against the current maintainer's wishes.
>
> If you don't think Ryan's taking the package seriously, you have a
> number of options, most of which are outlined here:
>
>   http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-beyond-pkging.en.html#s-mia-qa
>
> You should follow that procedure before doing a source NMU. Some other
>
>         * Submitting patches
>         * Offering to co-maintain
>
> Being confrontational doesn't help us work together to make Debian.

Hum, behind the lines, it looks that procedure was followed without
success, and it would be the last steps:

         "One last word: please remember to be polite. We are all
         volunteers and cannot dedicate all of our time to
         Debian. Also, you are not aware of the circumstances of the
         person who is involved. Perhaps they might be seriously ill
         or might even had died -- you do not know who may be on the
         receiving side -- imagine how a relative will feel if they
         read the e-mail of the deceased and find a very impolite,
         angry and accusing message!)"

Josselin Mouette was polite and peacefully explained that he
understand the reason why Ryan is not responsive enough for the GDM
package, even acknowledging the good work done by Ryan.

         "On the other hand, although we are volunteers, we do have a
         responsibility. So you can stress the importance of the
         greater good -- if a maintainer does not have the time or
         interest anymore, they should "let go" and give the package
         to someone with more time."

Isn't it what Josselin Mouette requested too?

In my opinion, "serious objection" to Josselin Mouette proposal have
no ground if we are talking about procedure.

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |