Re: serious problems with Mr. Troup

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:23:09 +0100, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@downhill.at.eu.org> said:

> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 03:04:39PM +0100, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
>> ...a mail that appeared via debian-devel-announce.

>> How odd. That's a developers only list and Ingo's no developer. Who
>> was it signed by?

>> [-- PGP output follows (current time: Sun Feb 22 00:49:39 2004) --]
>> gpg: Signature made Sun Feb 22 00:04:39 2004 EST using DSA key ID
>> 7F4E0E11 gpg: Good signature from "Bastian Blank <bastianb@gmx.de>"
>> gpg: aka "Bastian Blank <waldi_@gmx.de>" ...

>> Ahh. From the DMUP:

>> ] Examples of what we consider net abuse: ] * Forged headers and /
>> or Addresses
>> ]
>> ] Forging headers or messages means sending mail such that its origin
>> ] appears to be another user or machine, or a non-existent machine.
> [...]

> I assume Bastian received the mail from Ingo with the pledge to sign
> it and bounce it to d-d-a, which is completely different.

	Different, how? Why was the email not clearly marked as coming
 from Bastian, with the contents: I got this from Ingo with a request
 to bounce to devel? (That is overlooking the fact that this was a
 gross abuse of a genral announce list, which, as a DD, bastion should
 have known better).

> Bouncing/forwarding e-mail from non-DDs to d-d-a is ok.

	Not unless the contents are fit to be on d-d-a, which was not
 the case here, and if and only if the header properly attribute the
 DD from whom the message is supposed to be coming from.

> The paragraph you quoted would match if _Bastian_ wrote the mail and
> made it appear to be sent by Ingo.

	Looking at the headers of the message, sounds more like he
 colluded with ingo to bypass the restrictions of d-d-a. Which does
 not seem to be better.

	manoj
--
If you wants to get elected president, you'se got to think up some
memoraboble homily so's school kids can be pestered into memorizin'