Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:39:27 +0100, Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org>
wrote:
>On Fri, 13.02.2004 at 23:00:19 +0100, Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:
>> ... and it needs a complete toolchain present on the target system.
>> With Debian, it is perfectly possible to operate a server systems
>> without a compiler present. To do these things with a BSD, much more
>> effort is necessary.
>
>This is not quite true because you _can_ roll binaries on one system
>and then distribute them to others. "make release", or "make package",
>if it's a port.

That's what I'd call "much more effort", counting that Debian's
package dependencies are a lot more sophisticated.

Also, Debian handles binary package distribution much better. One can
have his own aptable archive and feed all productive servers from is,
using Debian's native mechanisms.

Greetings
Marc