* Will Newton <will@misconception.org.uk> [2004-02-19 23:21]:
> If, as seems to be have been suggested, the DAM has a problem with
> impatient people, then we get no impatient people in Debian,
> regardless of ability.

One of the most (fairly recent) impatient applicants I can remember is
Vincent Sanders; he was really impatient and pestering the DAM, me and
others (unjustified, he wasn't waiting long at all), but he was dealt
with fairly and got approved (and now I'm (impatiently ;) waiting for
him to do more ARM d-i work :-P [just for the record, he has done some
great work in this area already]).

>From working with James (as DAM) over the years, I do have the
impression that he can differentiate fairly well whether a specific
person is annoying to him personally or whether he'd bring a
disruption to Debian as a while.  Since it fits well in this
discussion, I will just quote one sentence from James which I think
summarizes it pretty well: "If I only approved people I liked and/or
people who didn't annoy me, just about no one would get through
new-maintainer." (obviously this is slightly exaggerated.)  Quite
clearly this is not the case, so he can obviously differentiate
between acting as himself and acting in a specific role.

> Just because you happen to have the "personality flaw de jour" I
> don't believe you should be excluded from Debian.

I do find it quite interesting to think about this, though.  Against
which personality traits are we (either Debian as a whole or just NM)
biased against?  One impression I have is that people who do not work
independently generally don't contribute much simply because there is
not much coordination and nobody who tells them what to do.  I cannot
think of anything else right now, but I'll think about this some more.
(One problem we sometimes have in NM (especially in the Philosophy
part) is to judge whether a person has problems answering the
questions because of lack of language skills or because he does not
fully understand our philosophy.)
--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com