difficulty getting files from ftp servers via wget

all,

continuing the debian saga, I'm trying to download Packages.gz from:

	ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz

and am consistently getting timeout errors.  Native ftp consistently gets
timeout errors as well.

Curl seems to work fine, but I can't assume curl on some platforms that I maintain
(os390) so I was wondering what the issue might be. The timeout is on the RETR
command.

Ed