Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 06:48:33PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:18, Philip Brown <phil@bolthole.com> wrote:
> > Because solaris's IDE drivers are somewhat hacky. If you do the comparison
> > on an IDE sytem, you will most likely end up comparing how sucky solaris's
> > IDE drivers are to linux, as opposed to comparing the two kernels in
> > general.
>
> So compare Linux with IDE disks and Solaris with SCSI.  Linux should still
> win, it did last time I performed such a test!
>
> Solaris 2.6 has UFS as the only file system for disks.

Gads.. that's a LONG time ago. Time to rerun the test :-)

>  In my tests UFS was
> slower than Ext2 in Linux 2.2.x for file creation and deletion, even when
> running on machines with faster CPUs and disks.  Using ReiserFS the
> performance difference of create/delete was very amusing.

Sun has made public claims that fully patched solaris 9 UFS+logging,
is faster than ext2 for most things now, and about comparable to ext3.
(if memory serves me correctly)

Does that give you extra incentive to rerun the tests? :->

But you really should run the tests on identical hardware.
  "solaris+SCSI vs linux+IDE" isnt fair either, if it is
  20mbit SCSI vs ATA-133