OT: Being and acting [Was: Re: Talking to each other]

Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> wrote:

> Hi, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 03:13:35PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
>>> Well, in German saying "to act like an idiot" and "to be an idiot" is
>>> essentially the same.
>>
>> It's not.
>
> IME, whether you see a difference between those phrases depends mostly on
> whether your parents and/or teachers did.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean. By no way "acting" is equal
to "being". You may be acting in one way because of what you
are. Nevertheless, there is a difference, even if are not aware of it.

Not being aware of something does not means it does not exists.

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |