Re: ntp 4.2.0 in experimental

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 10:30:18AM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Matthias Urlichs (smurf@smurf.noris.de) [040215 04:25]:
> > No, sorry. We decided to remove debconf entirely because there are
> > basically two classes of people using ntp:

> > - People who have their own NTP network. They need to do hand-edit
> > /etc/ntp.conf to do some customization (subnet broadcast, secret
> > keys, ACLs...) anyway.

> > - People who don't. Most of them can happily use pool.ntp.org as their NTP
> > server, which is the default we're shipping with => no debconf needed.

> What's again using debconf with two low-priority questions:
> (1) Use debconf to configure this package [yes]
> (2) Your default ntp-server [pool.ntp.org]

The first of these questions is *always* *always* *always* a bug.  There
is no reason to ask if debconf should be used, instead of just asking
the questions about the config settings debconf will change, except when
the debconf handling does not correctly preserve local modifications,
and asking with debconf does not excuse this behavior.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer