On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 03:28:54AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> We've had, eg:
>
>   Jul 13 2003:
>     "Subject: Excessive wait for DAM - something needs to be done
>     This is absolutely crazy!  If there's a good reason for these
>     people to be waiting this long, update their status page and let
>     them know why."
>
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200307/msg00839.html

This would be mine.  I wasn't the only one that saw a problem with the
NM process at the time.  Improvement in the situation require the DPL
stepping in.

> It's fine that he feels blocked. I feel blocked from getting testing
> working as well as it should because the security team aren't willing
> to support it. Every now and then I try to convince them to change
> their minds. So far they haven't, and don't look like ever doing so,
> but that doesn't make them bad people, and no matter what I want a
> difference answer, or how much I might know about their job, they're
> the ones in the best position to make that call. And until I do the
> job myself or convince someone else to do it, and demonstrate that
> it's doable, I've got no cause to expect _any_ assistance from the
> security team.

I'm assuming that when you attempt to convince them there is at least
some two way conversation?

> No, going to the mailing-list is a way to pressure the individual into
> doing something they don't want. Sometimes that's appropriate, but
> it's very rare; certainly much rarer than actually happens.

Worked in the case of my e-mail to -devel.

> If nothing happens to improve the situation, and Debian doesn't
> collapse into ashes, it can't have been much of a crisis, can it? If
> "going public" doesn't help, there's not much point doing it at all,
> is it?

The DPL stepped in and improved the level of documentation provided to
NM applicants.  This seems like a change for the better to me.

--
Jamin W. Collins