Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 07:45, Philip Brown <phil@bolthole.com> wrote:
>> If someone is specifically interested in
>> "how does solaris compare with linux", I would suggest finding a SCSI-based
>> x86 machine, and doing the comparison on that box.

> Why SCSI?  For the same money IDE will significantly outperform SCSI.
[...]

Because SCSI-disk turn faster their access-time is smaller. Their
data-transfer-rate is not bigger, though.

There is no technical reason for this, it is simply caused by the fact
that manufacturers position scsi as high-end server product. There
are disks with "SCSI-type" hardware (10000RPM) and IDE interface (WD
raptor) but they are not cheaper than equivalent SCSI ones.
             cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_