Re: How does a port become real?

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 09:57:43PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I have some questions:
> >  * What does it take to qualify a Debian port for a spot on
> >    ftp.debian.org?  Must we reach a certain stage, have a certain
> >    number of packages working, or something?
>
> The real answer at the moment is wait until the mirroring stuff is
> segmented to support more architectures.

As the maintainer of debmirror I would like to know more there. Do you
have any summary of whats needed or planed? I'm doing a rewrite of
debmirror so now would be a realy good time to plan ahead.

As someone working on amd64 I'm also intrested in getting things
moving there.

Two reasons to help out if you let me.

> The general answers, for Linux ports, is you need to have a working
> toolchain, and a reasonable number of packages built; ideally with a
> working autobuilder.

The pure 64bit amd64 port (recently started) got a toolchain now, got
an autobuilder, and the number of packages build is over 3000 now I think.

> For non-linux architectures, there's no real set of rules. The Linux
> architectures that're being blocked at the moment (amd64, s390x, ppc64,
> sh and others that I forget offhand) are higher priority and will likely
> happen first, though.
>
> To be considered a release candidate, you should generally have a buildd
> that's integrated into buildd.d.o, and consistently hitting at least the
> 85%-90% mark on graph2; you should have a developer accessible machine
> online; you should have d-i working, and have a couple of successful
> installations with it; and so forth.

I don't think amd64 can be released even if it catches up to 99%. Its
still too new and untested to be called stable. The press will
complain about Debian not having a amd64 port but I think that needs
much more testing than can be done in the next month to hold up to
debians high stable standards.

> >  * Can bugs for these not-quite ports be submitted even before they have
> >    a spot on ftp.debian.org if patches are included?
>
> Nothing stopping you from filing wishlist bugs.
>
> >  * What is the procedure for getting space on ftp.debian.org once we
> >    (the porters) believe the qualifications have been met?
>
> Ask, although as above, you won't get a yes for a little while yet.

Consider yurself asked then please.

> >  * Same question for the autobuilders.
>
> For architectures that aren't in the archive, there's nothing anyone
> but the port developers can do about autobuilding afaik.
>
> Cheers,
> aj

MfG
        Goswin